Susan E. Thomas CPA
How do I enroll in Medicare?

Some people automatically get Medicare Part A and Part B (Original Medicare). You'll be automatically enrolled in Original Medicare when you turn 65 if you've already been receiving Social Security or Railroad Retirement Board benefits for at least four months. If you get disability benefits from Social Security or certain disability benefits from the Railroad Retirement Board, you'll automatically get Medicare Part A and Part B after 24 months. The Social Security Administration will notify you that you're being enrolled, and you will receive your Medicare card in the mail.

Although there's no cost to enroll in Medicare Part A (Hospital Insurance), you'll pay a premium to enroll in Medicare Part B (Medical Insurance). If you've been automatically enrolled in Part B, you'll be notified that you have a certain amount of time after your enrollment date to decline coverage.

If you decide to postpone applying for Social Security past your 65th birthday, you can still enroll in Medicare when you turn 65. The Social Security Administration suggests that you call (800) 772-1213 at least three months before you turn 65 to discuss your options. You can apply for Medicare online at the Social Security website,, in person at a local office, or by phone.

Prepared by Broadridge Investor Communication Solutions, Inc, Copyright 2011